Connecticut Explored Inc. Seeks a Part-time Editorial Asst. & Subscription Manager
Please send a cover letter, résumé or short C.V., and a list of three references (names and contact information only) to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but those arriving before July 22, 2022 will be given priority.
Connecticut Explored is a nonprofit organization founded in 2002 and celebrating our 20th anniversary in 2022 as the magazine and podcast of Connecticut history. Our magazine is published quarterly, and our Substack newsletters and podcasts appear twice a month. We are currently seeking an Editorial Assistant & Subscription Manager at $22/hr, for approximately 25 hours per week, who will provide administrative and editorial support to the publisher and work with the publishing team consisting of the editor, designer, and podcast producer and social media coordinator. The assistant will help the publisher and team members with project planning, market research, editorial development, manuscript preparation, advertising, accounts management, circulation management and various other administrative tasks. The position requires working remotely, attending periodic in-person meetings, and participating in frequent virtual meetings. The position does not include a benefits package, but Connecticut Explored will participate in the Connecticut Retirement Security plan authorized by the Public Act 16-29: https://www.osc.ct.gov/retirementsecurity/index.html if the employee desires it.
Connecticut Explored is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, religion, creed, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition as defined by applicable law, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, hairstyle, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances.
- BA in History, English, Journalism, or related field.
- Prior relevant work experience (including but not limited to internships and/or coursework)
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, or Google Workspace.
- Experience with digital platforms, including WordPress and basic website maintenance and metadata generation.
- Must have a passion for history and history education, knowledge of the state history community, and keen interest in learning about the business of publishing.
- Must enjoy working collaboratively in a small non-profit team.
- Must be an efficient, self-motivated problem-solver with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to set priorities under pressure and multi-task; must be highly organized, resilient, flexible, patient, and detail-oriented.
- MA in History or Public History.
- Knowledge of and passion for Connecticut history.
Manages an edit copy submitted by Organizational Partners for Afterword and Spotlight sections of the magazine.
Create new E-CTE posts on website
Create new e-newsletter bi-weekly
Writes content across magazine’s three social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter), and for “kids” Facebook and Instagram.
Writes social media posts for org partners who buy digital media packages.
CLHO and CT Council for Social studies conferences.
Ad coordination: originates and manages contracts, receives ads from org partners and advertisers, identifies Hot Spots and works with John to design. Advertising
Splits advertising role between publisher and assistant
Scans and shares relevant posts from org partner Facebook pages.
Subscription database management (new subs, renewals), direct mail campaigns and holiday sales, newsstand deliveries, back orders, bank deposits, conference setups. Order fulfillment and managing back issues.
Pulls mailing list of subscribers and drop lists, and merges with 1-3 additional lists., deposits check for postage.
Makes newsstand deliveries.
Mails author copies out.
Works with org partners to ensure their mailing lists are updated, and gets lists from orgs with a story in the issue.
Generates list for e-blast to promote issue.
Data entry for all Friends gifts, mail merge/print/mail thank you letters, deposit checks Development